IF is a technology studio. We specialise in ethical and practical uses of data.
We’re working for a better, more ethical information society where technology serves people with a sustainable market for ethical and practical uses of data and where technologies are designed to be publicly accountable, understood and regulated.
IF works with companies to develop innovative uses of data, that are in service to people. We research and test emerging technologies, designs and uses of data to offer practical, achievable digital strategies.
Founded in December 2015 by our CEO Sarah Gold, in 3 years we’ve worked with some of the most prestigious global brands like Google, Oxfam and DeepMind delivering high quality, unique and directly impactful work. We have exciting products and projects lined up for 2019, and huge plans for the next 3 years +. We are currently ~20 people and have big ambitions to grow our team.
Developer at IF
We are looking for a Developer to join us. You will have experience building digital services and supporting them as they operate in production environments. You can work independently, but always ask for support when you need it.
As a consequence of working in an emerging field you will be defining new practices and techniques, and setting new standards. Your work will directly contribute to IF’s mission of showing how companies can use data in ethical ways. It will impact organisations we work with, shaping strategy and influencing the ways products and services are built to respect people’s digital rights.
We’re looking for someone who can:
- Understand modern web development principles and standards and how they apply in their day-to-day development practice
- Collaborate with others in the team by pair programming, participating in peer review of code and sharing your knowledge with the technical and other members of the team
- Identify gaps in their knowledge and find effective ways to address them
- Take ownership of their code through the development process from kick-off to being deployed and supported in production
- Make strategic technical choices and judgements with sound reasoning, taking into account the impact on users, project needs, client needs and research evidence, and be able to explain your decision-making
Day to day you will:
- Help plan and participate in the running of projects so that they are delivered to a high standard, taking part in agile rituals such as daily standups, planning, retros and feedback sessions
- Work in a open, collaborative way with a multidisciplinary team and the client to achieve project goals. You will use Agile ways of working, iterative methods, a flexible approach and effective prioritisation to be able to respond to change and deliver work at pace
- Help the team to raise the quality of our work by giving clear and constructive feedback. Seek feedback on your work and proactively ask other team members to show you what they are working on
- Learn about IF’s specialist and emergent space and your own area of practice
We are looking for someone who can live IF’s values:
- Care about the collective
- Challenge norms, and be comfortable with uncertainty
- Excellence for and from everyone
- Make time for humans
- Sketch, prototype and build to influence and make change
IF offers a competitive salary, time off between Christmas and New Year plus days in August at the business’ discretion, in addition to your holiday allowance of 20 days + bank holidays and a supportive sick leave policy.
We have regular retreats offsite across the year (sometimes we go to lovely locations like Valencia) where we make space as a team to step back and reflect. IF has a Mentor scheme, and supports staff to write regular blog posts, attend conferences and speak at them too!
Every Thursday we have team lunch, where we all make sure that we eat together, and on a Friday the studio closes an hour earlier to welcome in the weekend. We regularly make time to go for a team drink, or see an exhibition together.
We are an equal opportunity and Living Wage Foundation employer. We support you as soon as you start, linking you to a Buddy who will help you get settled. We believe that diverse teams make better decisions, deliver the best work and are more fulfilling to be part of. That’s why we welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages.
Our preferred starting date for this role is as soon as possible. We have an ongoing review of applications.