We are looking for a design researcher to join IF. You will have an established track record in research developing digital products and services; with experience helping teams design for new innovations and emerging technologies.
Your work will directly contribute to IF’s mission of showing how companies can use data in ethical ways. It will impact the organisations we work with, shaping strategy and influencing how products and services are built to respect people’s digital rights.
Collaboration is hugely important to us, so we’re looking for someone who is at their best when part of a team while having the confidence and ability to take a brief from research planning proposals right through to delivery with minimal oversight.
We are a fast-paced business that has big growth plans, we’re looking for someone who enjoys solving ambiguous challenges and working in a rapidly changing environment. We would like you to be comfortable working in the open.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is comfortable running the design research on commercial projects
- Confidently applies different research methods, evaluating and explaining any trades offs in approach
- Communicates research findings crisply and with strong storytelling intuition
- Thinks strategically about what to research and how to act on the insight
- Champions creative excellence and pushes traditional boundaries
- Goes beyond user-centred design to consider the potential impact of new technologies on relationships, communities and society
- Has clear points of view on design and is comfortable sharing them
- Enjoys supporting the testing process and has worked in rapid prototyping and iterative environments
- Any experience running design research in different countries is a plus
- Designing, planning and carrying out research on IF’s projects, using your creativity and expertise to find the right methodology
- Conducting research analysis and synthesis, identifying and documenting actionable insights and bringing the team and client with you
- Communicating research findings clearly, whether that’s drawing a diagram, crafting a punchy set of slides, or writing a detailed report
- Collaborating with a multidisciplinary team of designers, technologists, writers and researchers to translate research findings into the work
- Ensuring there is an evidenced throughline from research insights to final deliverables and recommendations
- Contributing to the success of the team, participating in project ceremonies, rituals and delivering project outputs
- Where needed, supporting other team members to carry out research, ensuring research is delivered to a high standard across all IF’s projects
- Role model great feedback that helps the team deliver their best work by providing clear and constructive feedback and proactively seeking feedback on own work
- Challenge the status quo and fuel innovation by proposing new ideas to improve research and culture at IF
- Presenting work to clients and stakeholders
- Writing and talking publicly about your work at IF
- Learning about IF’s specialist and emergent space
We’re working towards a better, more ethical information society. We’ve defined and led this emerging space since 2016.
IF has unrivalled expertise in showing organisations how to collect, store and treat data so they are both ethically sound and commercially successful.
Based in Somerset House in London, our multidisciplinary and internationally respected team includes technologists, infosec researchers, designers and strategists.
We care about the web and we approach all of our work though making. We maintain a catalogue of data patterns and work in the open as much as possible.
- Competitive salary
- 20 days holiday and office closure between Christmas and New Year, plus discretionary office closure in August
- Early finish on a Friday to welcome in the weekend
- Contributory NEST pension
- Cycle to work scheme
- Monthly catered lunch
- Colleague support via an Employee Assistance Programme
- Training and development, alongside access to our growing library
- As a Somerset House resident you get 10-20% off in all the shops and cafes in Somerset House, alongside some free exhibition passes
We are an equal opportunity and Living Wage Foundation employer. We believe that inclusive and diverse teams make better decisions, deliver the best work and are more fulfilling to be a part of. That’s why we welcome and proactively seek out applications from people of all backgrounds and ages.