Product Owner, Data Ethics Toolkit
IF is a technology studio. We specialise in ethical and practical uses of data.
Our mission? A better, more ethical information society. Where technology serves people, where there’s a sustainable market for ethical and practical uses of data and where technologies are designed to be publicly accountable, understood and regulated.
We’re an independent company, staffed by technologists, designers and strategists, who work with organisations to develop innovative uses of data that are in service to people. We research and test emerging technologies, designs and uses of data to offer practical, achievable digital strategies.
Founded in December 2015 by our CEO Sarah Gold, we’ve grown from a bold idea to being the unrivalled leaders in this emerging field. In the last 3 years we’ve worked with some of the most prestigious organisations in the world, like Google, Oxfam and DeepMind, delivering high quality, unique and clever work, which shows real care about people. This is just the beginning: currently about 20 people, with big ambitions to grow our team, we have a wealth of intellectually stimulating products and projects lined up for 2019. The Data Ethics Toolkit is going to be a big part of how we make that a reality.
Product Owner at IF, Data Ethics Toolkit
We’re looking for is someone to own and develop what we call the Data Ethics Toolkit. If you’re already working in this space, you know that there’s a lot of toolkits floating around. We want to make something that’s more than flashcards. In 2018, we ran two alphas, with really interesting results. Now, we need someone like you to make it happen.
We’re pretty certain that you’ll have proven experience of building great products from an early stage. Or maybe you’re an experienced Product Manager who’s tired of the day-to-day of mature products, dreaming of something new, but not looking to bet your steady income on your mate’s dubious start up idea.
You’re definitely someone who still believes in that there’s potential to do great work around ethical and practical uses of data. The tech industry has had enough “visionaries”; we’re looking for a realistic optimist who’s happy to shape a vision for the toolkit. You’re excited by inventing and driving the adoption of new standards for data ethics. And you are comfortable telling that story, with some help from IF’s friendly team.
- Lead product development of Data Ethics Toolkits
- Define what problems Data Ethics Toolkits solves, explain that internally and externally, using an appropriate medium or method. Clarify the strategic and commercial opportunity that Data Ethics Toolkit could meet
- Identify and build sales relationships with organisations who will be the service’s first users
- Lead, manage and grow the Data Ethics Toolkits team (a mix of freelancers and permanent staff) within budgetary constraints
- Recognise what skills are needed in the team, write job specs, recruit and onboard designers, developers and other roles
- Understand and report metrics to measure Data Ethics Toolkits’ profitability, growth and impact
- Form the vision for our Data Ethics Toolkits service and engage the team in the building of this vision over time
- Make and maintain a product roadmap that allows planning, product development, marketing and sales
- Prioritise a product roadmap based on users’ needs and IF’s priorities
- Communicate the development of Data Ethics Toolkits and promote it in and outside IF
- Help IF team on industry projects when needed
- Pastoral care for other members of IF
General responsibilities for senior team members
- Understand IF’s strategic goals as a business and implement processes, projects and products that help IF meet them
- Be proactive, anticipating outcomes and reacting appropriately to changing situations, both in terms of shape of team, client expectations and changing business needs
- Be responsible for the creative leadership of industry projects you’re leading. Make sure what you deliver fulfills IF’s mission to make practical and ethical uses of data the industry standard. Nurture client relationships so clients feel part of the team, and are delighted by the quality of work and how you’re communicating with them; projects IF can be proud of.
- Meet business development goals by developing sales relationships through to paid work, identify and write successful proposals, grow existing accounts and be an expert resource for other sales relationships at IF.
- Work with other senior leaders as one team to: forecast IF’s resourcing, solving problems as they arise and leading teams across a diverse range of work ensuring delivery is high quality, on time and within budget.
- People manage and mentor junior staff at IF through personal example and weekly 1:1 meetings, so that they are supported, challenged and understand and work to IF’s policies and practices. Set weekly work, suggest avenues for professional development, and be in charge of performance management as needed.
- Work with the Head of People and Head of Delivery and Operations to identify missing roles and skills on the team and to help recruit and onboard IF’s future team members.
Day to day you will
- Work with researchers to gather information you need to deliver the work, for example through desk research or interviewing stakeholders
- Explain your process and your thinking in a way that’s clear, understandable and non-judgemental. You will regularly present work to the team in a way that helps them understand what led to your outcomes
- Help plan and participate in the running of projects so that they are delivered to a high standard, taking part in agile rituals such as daily standups, planning, retros and feedback sessions
- Work in a open, collaborative way to achieve project goals. You will use iterative methods, a flexible approach and effective prioritisation to be able to respond to change and deliver work at pace
- Help the team to raise the quality of our work by giving clear and constructive feedback. Seek feedback on your work and proactively ask other team members to show you what they are working on
- Learn about IF’s specialist and emergent space and your own area of practice
- Write regularly about your work, in: internal posts to record your work’s development as you go, external blog posts to share your work in the open and newsletters to inform our mailing list of the variety of work we do at IF
- Represent IF by giving external talks and attending events so that we engage with different communities of practice and help IF build networks for business development and recruitment
- Help set-up and take-down events and meetups
We’re looking for someone who can live IF’s values:
- Care about the collective
- Challenge norms, and be comfortable with uncertainty
- Excellence for and from everyone
- Make time for humans
- Sketch, prototype and build to influence and make change
This is a permanent role, London based (zone 1), full-time. You will have the right to live and work in the UK - unfortunately we are unable support Visa applications. Our preferred starting date for this role is as soon as possible. We have an ongoing review of applications.
IF offers a competitive salary, time off between Christmas and New Year plus days in August at the business’ discretion, in addition to your holiday allowance of 20 days + bank holidays and a supportive sick leave policy.
We have regular retreats offsite across the year (sometimes we go to lovely locations like Valencia) where we make space as a team to step back and reflect. IF has a Mentor scheme, and supports staff to write regular blog posts, attend conferences and speak at them too!
Every Thursday we have team lunch, where we all make sure that we eat together. On a Friday the studio closes an hour earlier to welcome in the weekend. We regularly make time to go for a team drink, or see an exhibition together.
We are an equal opportunity and Living Wage Foundation employer. We support you as soon as you start, linking you to a Buddy who will help you get settled. We believe that diverse teams make better decisions, deliver the best work and are more fulfilling to be part of. That’s why we welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages.