We’re looking for a Technology Lead who wants to be part of shaping how technology should be built to strengthen people's rights, bring transparency and accountability.
As a consequence of working in this emerging field this person will be defining new practices and techniques, and setting new standards. The work will directly contribute to IF’s mission of showing how companies can use data in ethical ways. This person will bring in best practices from outside of IF to ensure we are industry-leading in our technical approach.
We’re looking for someone with a breadth of experience; not only understanding all parts of a system, but also capable of dropping into a completely new system, picking up how it is architected and designed to help to identify privacy focussed technical infrastructure patterns. This will require someone who, alongside areas of expertise, has good general knowledge of technology.
We are looking for someone with is energised by working in an R&D-style environment, with experience of rapid prototyping as well as building digital services.
Not only will this person ensure high quality technical output across both consultancy projects and software development, but they will also be interested in continuing to learn and persuading others to continue to learn too.
You are someone who:
- Is excited about new technologies and platform agnostic
- Familiar with confidential computing techniques, producing technical architecture that enables security in systems
- Can digest very technical concepts and emerging techniques like edge computing and can simplify for non technical people
- Is used to working in an R&D-style environment
- Has clearly articulated opinions of how systems (tech, social, potentially economic) should be built
- Understands how to bring client stakeholders on the journey, through exceptional engagement, storytelling and delivering value early
- Sees collaboration with other disciplines and clients as an essential part of developing the right product and/or outcomes and understands the necessary trade-offs that have to be made
- Mentors less experienced team members by pair programming, participating in peer review of code. You enjoy sharing your knowledge with more junior technical team member and other colleagues
- Will coach other team members and is able to inspire and develop others around them
- Produce high quality code that can be understood and supported by others
- Will take ownership of their code through the development process from kick-off to being deployed and supported in production
- Make strategic technical choices and judgements with sound reasoning, taking into account the impact on users, project needs, client needs and research evidence, and be able to explain your decision-making
Day-to-day you’ll be:
- Providing technical vision for client work and internal products
- Prototyping in code (front-end and back-end)
- Pairing with team members on design and development tasks
- Writing about technology (internal notes, external blog posts and reports)
We’re working towards a better, more ethical information society. We’ve defined and led this emerging space since 2016.
IF has unrivalled expertise in showing organisations how to collect, store and treat data so they are both ethically sound and commercially successful.
Based in Somerset House in London, our multidisciplinary and internationally respected team includes technologists, infosec researchers, designers and strategists.
We care about the web and we approach all of our work though making. We maintain a catalogue of data patterns and work in the open as much as possible.
We are an equal opportunity and Living Wage Foundation employer. We believe that inclusive and diverse teams make better decisions, deliver the best work and are more fulfilling to be a part of. That’s why we welcome and purposely seek out applications from people of all backgrounds and ages.
- Working in an R&D-style environment, building rapid prototyped and developing innovative digital services using emerging technologies
- Leading multi-disciplinary teams to achieve shared goals
- Understanding of web technologies, including:
- Building block protocols on the web, including HTTP, TCP/IP and DNS
- Web standards: HTML5, CSS and emerging standards such as ActivityPub
- Securing web applications with TLS/SSL and modern browser standards such as Content Security Policy.
- Working with public cloud services
- Making informed decisions and understanding the trade-offs involved with designing software architecture and which tools to use, for instance:
- Backend data stores such as relational databases, column stores and key-value stores
- Programming languages and paradigms
- 20 days holiday and office closure between Christmas and New Year, plus discretionary office closure in August
- Early finish on a Friday to welcome in the weekend
- Contributory NEST pension
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Monthly catered lunch
- Training and development, alongside access to our growing library
- As a Somerset House resident you get 10-20% off in all the shops and cafes in Somerset House, alongside some free exhibition passes