Head of Delivery & Operations
IF is a technology studio. We specialise in ethical and practical uses of data.
We’re working for a better, more ethical information society where technology serves people with a sustainable market for ethical and practical uses of data and where technologies are designed to be publicly accountable, understood and regulated.
Founded in December 2015 by our CEO Sarah Gold, in 3 years we’ve worked with some of the most prestigious global brands like Google, Oxfam and DeepMind delivering high quality, unique and directly impactful work. We have exciting products and projects lined up for 2019, and huge plans for the next 3 years +. We are currently ~20 people and have big ambitions to grow our team.
We need a brilliant Head of Delivery and Operations to support our delivery of great work that has both commercial and social impact, on time and budget, and that delights clients.
- Develop, review and continuously improve IF’s operational and delivery infrastructure and processes to ensure best practice and to build a culture of continuous improvement in delivery approach and execution
- Lead, manage and grow IF’s delivery and operations team (consists of project coordinators, administrators and producers, who are a mix of freelancers and permanent staff) within budgetary constraints
- Through collaboratively working with functional leads, producers and the CEO, pro-actively organise, problem solve and plan IF’s resourcing to enable the IF team to deliver work, on time, within budget and to IF’s high quality standards
- Nurture client relationships so that clients feel part of the IF team. Make sure clients are delighted with the quality of work, communication, and the method(s) of delivery - proactively resolving any potential issues before they happen
- Ensure a healthy financial position for IF by driving profitability across all products, projects and clients, including regular reviews and financial (and operational) reporting across the delivery team to ensure KPI success and improved future planning
- Drawing on and building on industry expertise, build relationships with suppliers and negotiate cost benefits for IF
- Work with IF’s People Lead to ensure teams have the best blend of skills
- Support the CEO in positively representing IF through your established network, through social media exposure and guest speaking at events
- Develop new business at IF, through growing existing accounts, collaborative working on pitches and RFPs, and through IF’s and your networks
- Work with IF’s teams on a diverse range of IF projects (ranging from research, events, print and digital work) to make sure that all projects are delivered on time, within budget and to IF’s quality
- Ensure project governance is adhered to at all times in order to protect IF from potential risk
- Where necessary facilitate the team’s planning and prioritisation of work and facilitation of relevant ceremonies
- Manage conflicting interests of internal and external stakeholders by keeping stakeholders informed about work, coordinating their involvement and understanding how we can better support them throughout the project
- Work with the CEO and the rest of the leadership team to make decisions about how IF should grow and develop
- Attend and report at board meetings, drawing on the trustees expertise and challenges, and implementing relevant decisions in daily work
Living IF’s values
- Care about the collective
- Challenge norms, and be comfortable with uncertainty
- Excellence for and from everyone
- Make time for humans
- Sketch, prototype and build to influence and make change
What we're looking for
- Agile ambassador holding relevant Agile certifications such as CertifiedScrumMaster®, Certified ScrumProduct Owner®, Certified ScrumProduct Coach® or similar
- Demonstrable experience in prioritising and structuring multiple workloads in both agile and waterfall delivery practises
- Demonstrable experience in facilitation, including (but not limited to) daily stand ups/Scrums, planning, retrospectives, stakeholder demo’s and reviews (internal and external) for teams ranging in size from 5-20 team members
- Excellent written communication skills, with a keen eye for detail and accuracy
- Takes responsibility for own actions and visibly supports team and management, including through guiding and leading junior team members displaying an empathetic and patient approach
- Demonstrate a macro and micro view simultaneously whilst applying a common sense approach to problem solving
- Display openness, honesty and integrity, responsible in own dealings with others with a keen committed for personal and career development
- Demonstrate passion for the work, IF and our client industries - approaches all tasks in a wholehearted and enthusiastic manner with a commitment to maintaining professional standards at all times
- Demonstrates a wide breadth and depth of experience of managing / facilitating a diverse range of projects from events and print to digital and research focused
- Demonstrate a strong project finance awareness at all times, understanding, managing and communicating financial implications of actions and timings
IF offers a competitive salary, time off between Christmas and New Year plus days in August at the business’ discretion, in addition to your holiday allowance of 20 days + bank holidays and a supportive sick leave policy.
We have regular retreats offsite across the year (sometimes we go to lovely locations like Valencia) where we make space as a team to step back and reflect. IF has a Mentor scheme, and supports staff to write regular blog posts, attend conferences and speak at them too!
Every Thursday we have team lunch, where we all make sure that we eat together, and on a Friday the studio closes an hour earlier to welcome in the weekend. We regularly make time to go for a team drink, or see an exhibition together.
We are an equal opportunity and Living Wage Foundation employer. We support you as soon as you start, linking you to a Buddy who will help you get settled. We believe that diverse teams make better decisions, deliver the best work and are more fulfilling to be part of. That’s why we welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and ages.
Our preferred starting date for this role is as soon as possible. We have an ongoing review of applications.